Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Peanut Butter Waffles and Snow Daze

No matter how old you are, there are some things you just can't change.  Ever since I was a little girl, when school was cancelled because of snow, my mom and I would bundle up, lace up our snow boots, and walk the 1/4 mile to my Grandma's apartment. Once we arrived and shed our million layers, we broke out the waffle iron and got to making and then filling our stomaches and souls with peanut butter waffles, Mrs. Butterworth, and girl talk!  

Why peanut butter waffles and not just plain old buttermilk or belgian? Well first of all if you know me, you know I have always been a fan of peanut butter, maybe even border line obsessed (yes I can eat it straight from the jar by the spoonful!) The whole idea behind peanut butter waffles is thanks to the Master Cuisine recipe book that came along with the waffle iron we got my grandpa for Christmas one year, and let's be honest, what peanut butter lover wouldn't want to give the recipe a try? 

Fast forward almost 30 years (yikes, where does time go?) and I'm home from work watching the snow fall, and I faithfully dig out the old Master Cuisine machine.  This time though I give the Peanut Butter waffles a spin. . . I really want them, but I don't want the bloated feeling that comes along with eating them because of my wheat intolerance. So I browsed a few coconut flour waffle recipes and whipped together some coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, egg whites, coconut milk, a little coconut oil, some coconut sugar, and of course Peanut butter (my latest HOMEMADE peanut butter  )


Results? YUM!!!



Coconut Flour Peanut Butter Waffles,
dollop of plain greek, drizzle of pure maple
and raspberries. . 

Of course the perfect accompaniment to this grown up gluten free snow day favorite is some coffee with ground cinnamon and steamed milk. . . . a clever blend from my favorite coffee shop.





and yes, I might be on my third cup : ) 




                        This post is dedicated to the lady that 
                     really made my snow days, even more than the waffles!


What are your snow day traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment